Most of these blog entries deserve an entire chapter. I have boiled them down to the basics to make them more approachable, and perhaps more inviting. My hope is that some of these serve as the basis for thought or discussion; that readers fill in the details for themselves according to their own experiences and impressions.

Sunday, November 28, 2010

Piece of pie

A quick tip to use when facing temptation, like that (extra) piece of apple pie with ice cream that’s being offered with holiday dinner…if you can’t decide whether to have it or not, pretend it’s tomorrow morning and you’re looking back at yourself to see what you did. What will you wish you had decided? Usually, I wish I’d said “no,” which is why I’m having trouble making the decision. I might still make the so-called wrong choice, but it feels like an actual decision, from a better perspective than just “mmm-treat!” vs “waah, no-treat-for-me.”  It becomes an intellectual choice rather than an emotional one when you remove yourself from the immediacy of pie on the table in front of you.

It works for all kinds of decisions, not just dessert. And sometimes, it even helps me make that right choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment